Vineman is one of my favorite races! And I'm really psyched to know that the race is going green this year. I checked in with Amy Latourette at their race headquarters and here is what she shared with me:
Changes we have made in the Vineman office:
* Switched out our conventional light bulbs for CFL bulbs.
* Removed paper towels from the bathrooms and replaced them with hand towels.
* Use recycled copy paper (we have been doing this for a few years now)
* Reuse paper for scratch paper.
* Replace bottled water with a filter pitcher.
* Compost fruit and vegetable scraps.
* Save packing materials (peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.) and return them to the Mailbox Plus store.
* Reducing the junk mail we receive by contacting each company and asking to be removed from their mailing lists.
* Switch over to paperless billing.
* Switch over to rechargeable batteries.
Changes for the Vineman races:
* Eliminate mailing of race programs. They will now be available only online.
* Akeena Solar to supply power for our expo and finish line.
* Recycle/compost bins at all race venues.
* Eliminate water bottles at the finish line.
* Make signage that is reusable (instead of one time use)
* Plates, napkins, bowls from recycled materials.
* Reusable “goody” bags at registration instead of plastic bags.
* We have joined the “wrapper brigade” and will be collecting and recycling energy bar wrappers. (This was started by Clif Bar and TerraCycle)
* We will have Clif Bar Cool Tags available for purchase at the Full Vineman
* We are working on getting our own “cool tags” to sell at the Vineman Ironman 70.3
The green Alete Van will be at the race this year so be sure to come and find us!