What is the Green Steps Program?
It’s simple: It’s reducing our negative impact on the environment—one step at a time.
There are two components of this program. The first is what Interbike does to make a difference and the second is what you, the exhibitors and attendees, do to make a difference.
The History of Green Steps:
Green Steps began three years ago when Interbike became aware of the negative impact that events can have on the environment. Minimizing that impact quickly became a priority of our business. We soon realized that there was so much that we didn’t know and that there was an incredible opportunity to make a difference. We decided to take “Steps” toward the three R’s—Reduce, Reuse and Recycle – with the belief that anything we did, no matter how small, would have a positive effect.
What Steps does Interbike take?
- Our first Step was to offset the energy used to operate Interbike by purchasing REC's (renewable energy certificates). This is equivalent to taking approx. 30 cars off the road for an entire year or planting 20 acres of trees. See page 2 for a detailed description of RECs.
- Work with the Sands, the City of Las Vegas, GES and other service providers to find out what they are doing and how we can work together to drive initiatives and support additional steps toward a healthier environment.
- Introduced recycled aisle carpeting.
- Offer recycled booth carpet to exhibitors.
- Switched to recycled paper badges printed with soy ink instead of plastic.
- Implemented “Yellow Bag” recycling program to collect cardboard off the show floor.
- Reduced use of paper printing with increase in use of electronic communication.
- Examples: online registration, online exhibitor service manuals and e-newsletters.
What’s new for this year?
The new Carbon Neutral Travel Program. Whether by plane, train or automobile, the CO2 emissions of your travel have a negative effect on the environment. You will now have an opportunity to offset those emissions by calculating your carbon footprint for travel to Interbike and purchasing REC's. Carbon offsets allow you to ensure that in the future, clean alternative wind energy is produced in lieu of carbon-intensive coal fired energy. You are offsetting the carbon that you have already emitted, reducing future carbon emissions, and helping to grow the availability of clean energy by supporting new wind energy projects.
OutDoor Demo Green Steps:
- Organic food and biodegradable foodware.
- Exhibitors provided with biodegradable trash bags.
- Recycle bins throughout event and "green teams" collecting trash around the event for recycling.